LINKS TO MUST SEE POSTS:

Monday, November 16, 2009

A day of Shopping, Eating, and needing to be sleeping!!



SHOPPING:

Today was one of Brooklyn's off day's so we headed to the international market in Honolulu for a day of shopping! The international market is a great place to find jewelry, Aloha Dresses, cool woodwork, name bracelets, neat artwork, street musicians, ukulele's, food, and crazies dressed as random things that charge you to take a picture with them. One thing we're not so crazy about with the International Market is how forceful some of the vendors are. I've never been good at bartering. It brought back funny memories from my many trips to NYC. No matter how many times I went to Chinatown, if I didn't have Jill or Melissa with me I was probably gonna end up paying asking price for any knock-off purse I got. I've gotten a little better but not much. It helps though when their asking price is completely ridiculous which was often the case especially with the pearl kiosks. All in all it was a great trip and we got a good head start on Christmas shopping.

EATING:

Hawaii is HOT! I don't know if you're aware but in hawaii it gets hot and thats when your body is craving a nice cool tropical smoothie of some sort. We scored and found a sweet smoothie place there in the market that makes you a drink with a fresh fruit of your choice then puts your drink back into your fruit to use as your cup! Pretty cool...but very heavy!


The food highlight of the day was the PUKA DOGS!! First off, I love hot dogs. With that being said...years ago on the Food Network or something of the like I caught a show about the best hot dogs in the Nation where they traveled around the US unveiling the greatest hot dog places, most unique hot dogs places, biggest, etc. and one place they featured called, Puka Dogs, was in Hawaii. After finding they had a location in Waikiki we quickly planned an excursion to try it out. It was amazing! They feature fruit relishes rather than pickle relish. The menu offers the following delectable relishes: Mango, pineapple, banana, coconut, papaya, and even starfruit! Are you salivating? They also use bread with no holes then use a scalding rod to make a hole in it so the bun cooks from the inside out and wraps all the way around the dog. BRILLIANT! It was incredible and over my dead body will I leave this place without having eaten a hot dog with each of the relishes!!


NEEDING TO BE SLEEPING:

I don't know if you're like me but if you are then you know shopping is exhausting and when you're exhausted and hot you can get kinda loopy. We shopped from early in the day to a decent hour in the evening and were really losing it by the end. Our desperation for sleep brought out behavior in us we were not familiar with. We seemed borderline drunk. I don't know why we felt we needed to begin recording our rants but we did. I guess we were aware we hadn't made any crazy videos in a little while and the blog was suffering so hit the record button. We might regret posting this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment