LINKS TO MUST SEE POSTS:

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Good Morning Kayak!!

How does an early morning kayaking excursion sound? Sounds good to me...and it's even better when the ocean is your backyard as is the case with Brooklyn. That's right, her backyard is the Ocean! It doesn't get much better than that. So we had a sleepover, woke up, had breakfast and hit the water.






We met 2 locals who were surfing and paddle boarding off Kailua Beach where we kayaked to. Kyle and Courtney. They gave us some good tips of things to see while we're here.

One not so much of a highlight was when we hit a huge wave and flipped the kayak....I'll let Brooklyn add to this post on that topic. I'm still too traumatized to go into any details other than that I cried to the point of laughing then laughed to the point of peeing, then peed to the point of laughing then laughed to the point of crying.

Hey Guys, this is Brooklyn. So heres my perspective. I knew Ceri was apprehensive of the water because of her shark phobia. I was confident that the kayak wouldn't tip. All we had to do was make sure the braking wave didn't crash on the kayak at an angle causing us to lose balance . As long as we went straight into the wave I knew we'd be good.


So were doing just that and it's going smoothly. We're talking with Courtney, our surfing friend, and I see that she's getting ready to catch a wave. I see that we're in front of her so I move the kayak to get out of her way. BAD decision. Next thing you know the wave broke on us and Ceri screams "OH GOL". We're in the water, kayak is flipped, with oars, water bottles and my flip-flips everywhere. I'm laughing but know that I have to be somewhat serious because I know Ceri must be freaking out. She really doesn't like the unknown ocean. I look over and she's parallyzed, curled in a ball hugging the kayak for dear life, laughing/whimpering uncontrollably. After we get our laughter somewhat under control we attempt to get back in the kayak. It was important that we get in quickly cause the waves could continue to brake on us making the situation worse. Ceri is reluctant to release from her ball position because of her fear of sharks mistaking her legs for a sea turtle. Shes not budging, so I try pushing her bottom into the kayak as she's still in the fetal postion. My efforts are of course useless and we're laughing even harder now. We finally make it in safely. No sharks attacked us, but IT was a close call.

We saw lots of sea turtles in the water right there. They sometimes go up onto the rocks to soak up the sun and we were hoping to catch some on video doing just that but today they were swimming it up. We did however catch one on tape in the water for you. A HUGE one!

Here are some highlights:


1 comment:

  1. Brooklyn,

    I am so jealous that you've succeeded in getting Ceri into a kayak. I've been trying to do that in Florida for years, but in addition to her shark phobia, she has an alligator phobia!

    You two crack me up. At one point, I just died in your arms tonight, tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tssssss.

    ReplyDelete